Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What's your legacy?

It's a no-brainer - life is short. Even the longest of lives seem like a dream, whether that person is no longer with us, or is nearing the end of their life's journey. Old and young. We watch a life unfold. Their childhood, and teens, journeys and struggles, trials and triumphs. Stories of how they influenced others around them. Family and friends, neighbours and strangers. There are many wonderful stories. So many people touched, so many footprints on our lives.
I have thought back to the lives of others as they have grown with me or have passed on before me, and I am struck by one thing.
No one commented on the wealth earned, the gadgets accumulated, the house and car. No on talked about promotions, and bonuses. Everyone shared memories, experiences, laughter and tears. Good deeds and helpful hands, support and celebration.
These individuals moved people without material gain. But with actions and words. With kindness.
So, I'm back to the simple act of kindness. From offering a cup of tea to building a house, acts of kindness will be part of your legacy and will come back to you. Just when you need it. You'll see.
My wish for you as you go about your day, is that you spare some precious time to nurture your legacy of kindness. I know I'm going to try.
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment