Monday, September 7, 2009

Fairwell Downtown Girl!!

So Monday was supposed to be my last "official" day as a Downtown Girl (thank you Jim Fiddler for that song)! And even though I love my new spot and don't regret the move at all, it was still a sad day. I decided to spend the afternoon doing one of my favorite downtown past-times: walking the old streets, reading and writing by the waterfront.
I strolled in the sun and was thrilled that the big yellow ball decided to stick around for a while and not be swallowed up by a wall of fog rolling in the narrows! I spent a lot of time noticing the sights. The colours, the coastline, the people. As I walked I was struck by the feeling that has never left me - even after 7 years living in the downtown core. Downtown St. John's, love it or hate it, is a unique place. From the Jellybean houses, mini flower gardens, rooftop balconies, colourful characters, one-way streets, hidden alley-ways...nothing can compare to this little gem. It is a place where I meet friends in our usual coffee spots (no appointment necessary), or I can also sit quietly and read in my favourite place.
Then there are the sounds. How can I forget the sounds? On an overcast night you can sit in your balcony and hear the live music on George Street as if you were there. And if you were actually there, and added bonus was was being able to pop up over the hill and use your own facilities! It was not only music, the working dockyard offered it's own symphony, that I only really noticed around 3:00am!
Downtown St. John's is changing. Everywhere is changing, when you look at it. More and more we are inundated with negative stories about the happenings in our city and it seems even more focused in the downtown. I eventually had to adapt to the changing times, "for the times they are a changing"!
In a city that us adapting to the world around it, we become more aware city dwellers. Regardless if we live in the "Burbs" or if we live in a home looking out through the narrows. We can't ignore our safety and protection.
But as I sat and wrote this blog in my notebook, I stopped a lot and looked around and listened to everything. I figured that while we regard our city with cautious optimism, we must not paint it with the same brush as every growing city. Look around, really look around. No one uses the same paintbrush in downtown St. John's.
My wish for you is that you adapt to whatever change is happening around you, look at your life and your surroundings with fresh eyes and cautious optimism. You have your paintbrush...use it!
Karen

1 comment:

  1. Great post Karen! I could see you walking and being super aware of your surroundings as I read it. So true that we have the paintbrush, and the power to use it. I love it when I am reminded of my power, thanks for that. Have a wonderful day, Uptown Girl!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete