Sunday, September 13, 2009

Something new adds pieces to you...

A few weeks back, I celebrated my 42nd birthday, and if you asked me 5 years ago how I would feel about advancing through my 40s I would probably have answered with a glare and a very quick subject change! I didn't even want to think about it. There were so many ideas I had about aging, about what was supposed to happen when you advance in years and I wondered if I had let myself down...
But I looked around and well, was pretty happy with what I saw. So what was missing?

"I" was missing!

As a rule, I do not make New Year's Resolutions - the one to stop cursing lasted all of 10 minutes "Holy #!@%^, those fireworks are *&$@ing awesome!" But the year I was to turn 40 I was going to do something different. That year, I resolved to do at least one thing I had never done before. And I wouldn't wait until someone could come with me. This was just for me.
In January 2007, I enrolled in acting classes at the Basement Theatre of the Arts and Culture Centre. I was apprehensive going somewhere I was not familiar, and I knew I would not know anyone. I nearly turned around when I got to the parking lot but I willed my feet to take me in. I was not disappointed. Walking into that class lead me to writing and performing 2 monologues for a packed theatre (ok mostly our family and friends - but it's all good!)
The next step led me to The Neighbourhood Strays Belly dance and Wild Lily Dance Studio. What an experience that has been (more later)! I started a novel, joined (and spoken to) the Positive Thinkers Club, rowed a Dragon Boat, zip lined through the jungle, signed up with a trainer, Bollywood danced, hoola hooped - yes something I haven't done in, say...30 years or more! It goes on...and what a trip!
Since that initial step, I have never looked back. Some things I did only once, others, I don't know how I lived without it for this long! I did these things for me and the reward was meeting new people who have enriched my life so much.
My wish for you is that you promise to do something for yourself once every year, and keep that promise. It only has to be once. Don't worry about how you look, focus on how you feel. Just be yourself!

Karen

1 comment:

  1. Karen, it is an honour to have you with us in the bellydance community and the Wild Lily family. I started my dance journey as I approached my 40th birthday - I was worried that I was too old to even learn to dance, and now I am co-owner of my own studio! It's when we stop worrying what others will think and begin to be concerned about what We think that we really start to live.

    ReplyDelete