Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A simple act of kindness

I did something the other day that I don't usually do. I introduced myself to someone who had been in the music business both locally and internationally, and told her how much I enjoyed her music and missed hearing it (she hasn't been singing in a while). It happened in a local coffee shop and we were both alone. Of course, while I was buying my coffee, the mental debate was going on... "how silly would I look?" "she'd think I was a total fruitcake" "would she be a typical celebrity and snub me off"... So I sweetened my coffee and walked toward the door...and stopped. Guess what happened? Stay tuned!

Everyday we are faced with opportunities to pass on a little kindness - sincere, genuine kindness. The spoken word is a powerful thing. Think about the last time someone said something to you and hurt your feelings. It stayed with you, didn't it? What about the last time you heard something that made you feel good about yourself? Did it stay with you as long as the hurt?

Young children are very good at expressing random acts of kindness. Four year olds will look at you (and not necessarily your own!) and tell you they love you just for sitting with them and colouring a picture or passing them a bowl of cheesies. They will tell you that You are the best You they ever had. As we get older, this happens less and less. Sad, but true.

Recently I learned of another example of kind words being spoken - from two 40+ men. One of their wives was joking at how ridiculous the guys are when they get together as they are always saying how great the other one is. But as she was telling me this, she was laughing. Hearing the story, I couldn't help but smile. As corny and silly as it may be to watch, the positive energy flowing from these guys even spilled into a discussion about them months later. This is so rare, yet refreshing.

Sincere spoken kindness is difficult to find, and even more difficult to initiate. But trust me, the rewards are priceless. As for my "singer" experience, well, I took a few steps back...turned to this person and told her how I felt. And she was flattered, really, sincerely flattered. She smiled and thanked me for my kind words. I left the coffee shop smiling to myself, knowing that I made another person feel good about themselves. And the only people who witnessed it were each other. We didn't share e-mail addresses or phone numbers, I didn't become her new friend on facebook, I just succeeded in passing on a little kindness in a world where there just doesn't seem to be enough of it going around....guilty as charged.

My wish for you is that someone will be kind to you, or you will be kind to another person, for no other reason then to experience how good it feels. Remember, the beauty of a smile is not only seeing the smile, but knowing that you are the reason behind it...
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment