Monday, July 6, 2009

Letting go of the Outcome!

So it's 4:20am, I am wide awake and have been for about an hour. (I wrote this post in a notebook as I knew that if I turned on my computer there would be NO chance of sleep coming)! What is usually a pattern of recurrent insommnia I have had since childhood is also fueled by anxiety and worry over something in my life over which I have little to no control. One of the most difficult concepts I have yet to grasp is to "Let go of the Outcome"!

Letting Go of the Outome or LGTO (I am a lazy typer) was introduced to me by a new friend (www.paulmichaelwhite.com ). From what I have learned so far (and no doubt with much more to come) is LGTO occurs when you let your mind rest and the chips fall where they may. Simple as that (so why is it so hard???!!!) Because no matter how much energy you spend engulfed in worry about what will happen, SOMETHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN...regardless of your anxiety level. I have practiced LGTO on one very important decision, and as hard as it was to let go, I did. I did not allow myself to worry, and the outcome occured without any mental intervention on my part! It was difficult, but worth it!

Now LGTO does NOT mean sitting back on your couch saying, "that's it, not doing anything, que sera sera, whatever will be will be and it will all come to me". To receive the desired outcome, you must first do everything that you possible can to influence or effect the inevitiable result. Whether it is selling a house, getting a new job, starting or ending a relationship, you first have to prepare the foundation: the desired outcome does not fall into your lap without preparation or action on your end. That being said, however, there comes a point in the process where you have to say, "That's it, I'm done, there is nothing more I can do and it is now in the hands of the "Otcome Gods"! Then let go. Let go of the worry, anxiety, negative thoughts...just think, wouldn't your energy be better spent creating a new outcome, rather than worrying about something that you now have little or no control over? The result may be good or bad - the outcome will not always be what you want. But I believe that everything happens for a reason - we just are not always privy to what that reason is when it happens.

LGTO is still an ongoing struggle for me, and will continue to be as I move through this process. I am a constant worrier - and have been told many times that worrying is like rocking in a rocking chair, keeps you busy but gets you nowhere! So true.

My wish for you is that in some aspect of your life, you let go of the outcome and allow the result to come to you. Then take that energy you used to spend on worry and create something, laugh with your friends or family or just sit in peace - knowing that everything will eventually work out.

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment